Eastern Terrace, Brighton, East Sussex, BN2 1DJ
Ground Floor, 10 The Drive
About the Property
An exceedingly rare opportunity to own a double-fronted, grade 2-listed, regency mansion on Brighton seafront. Measuring c.10,000 sq.ft., this magnificent Kemptown property enjoys panoramic sea views whilst providing unparalleled elegance across six storeys of beautiful Georgian architecture. Built in 1828, this former home to a King of Portugal maintains a magnitude of original features including stunning alabaster pillars, ornate marble fireplaces, decorative integral wall paintings, intricate plasterwork and perhaps Brighton’s most spectacular staircase. No. 9 has been home to the same family for 25 years and now offers a unique opportunity for a new owner to stamp their mark on history.
The ground floor greets you with a bright, marbled hallway replete with majestic, sweeping stone staircase creating a breathtaking centrepiece as it winds up through the floors. A broad atrium floods the stairwell with generous, natural light. Across from the foot of the stair, the reception hall leads into a dual-aspect, south/west-facing kitchen which boasts an airy, 14-ft. ceiling. Opposite is the grand dining room with a huge, carved wooden fireplace.
First floor comprises a broad, double-aspect drawing room with full-length windows overlooking the beach from marina to pier, and a double-height library with spiral staircase and mezzanine. The imposing, pillar-flanked landing with 16-ft. ceiling opens out onto a west-facing terrace ideal for al fresco entertaining.
Second floor: principal bedroom suite with two more bedrooms, bathroom.
Third floor: guest suite, two bedrooms, bathroom, shower room.
Fourth floor: bedroom, dressing room, shower room, west-facing sitting room opening onto penthouse roof terrace with far-reaching views of seafront and coast.
Lower ground floor: one-bedroom apartment with own street entrance and courtyard (also accessible from house). Full-sized billiards room opening onto second courtyard, utility room, store rooms and under-pavement vaults.
- Rarely available, double-fronted Regency mansion
- Majestic historical splendour with wealth of original, period features
- Breathtaking beachfront home with panoramic sea views
- C. 10,000 sq. ft. across six opulent storeys, with self-contained basement apartment
- Close to the heart of Kemptown village, Brighton College, the marina and Brighton pier
- Five reception rooms, eight bedrooms, double-height mezzanine library and full-sized billiards room
- Marble fireplaces, alabaster pillars and spectacular sweeping stone staircase
- Spacious rooms and high ceilings throughout
- Roof terrace, balcony and private courtyards
- Access to shared, communal garden and on-street permit parking